eLearning at our college
Where can you purchase your iPad?
iPads are available from a variety of stores in Mackay and Online.
What makes one store different from another – is it just the price, or is after-sales service needed?
With iPads, the College is not able to assist with Hardware faults, warranty claims or repairs, or loan units. However, the College’s IT Department will endeavour to assist students with iPad software configuration problems where possible.
As part of your purchasing decision, you may like to consider if you want after-sales support in Mackay. Apple’s standard support is for the customer to ring a support number, then to send Apple the unit for repair (estimate of turnaround time is 2-3 weeks). Check if the store you buy from has the ability to repair or replace the unit in Mackay. Also, ask if they do free training on the use of the iPad.
Several stores in Mackay stock iPads. Suggested retailers are:
- Apple Premium Resellers in Mackay (Specialists in Apple Sales and Service)
- Matilda Internet
- Department stores such as Big W, Target, Myer, Harvey Norman, and The Good Guys.
Online Store options include:
- JB Hi-Fi Solutions.
Go to: jbeducation.com.au/byod and Login using promo code MACKAY2021 when prompted (Payment Plans Available). If you have any questions, please contact JB Hi-FI at jbeducation.com.au/byod or call 1300 730 548.
- The School Locker
Go to: https://theschoollocker.com.au... and login to see the individual prices.
- Earphones – we recommend Apple Earphones with speakers and microphone.
Apps required on all student iPads:
- Microsoft Word for iPad (Microsoft Office 365 is free for students attending Mackay Christian College)
- Microsoft Excel for iPad (Microsoft Office 365 is free for students attending Mackay Christian College)
- Microsoft PowerPoint for iPad (Microsoft Office 365 is free for students attending Mackay Christian College
- OneDrive – Cloud storage for files (Microsoft Office 365 is free for students attending Mackay Christian College)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader – PDF Reader (Free)
Parents may also like to provide their child with a keyboard and/or a stylus. These items are not required, but some students may find them useful. Adapters are also available to connect an external computer screen to an iPad.
Purchase of Apps
Some apps are free, and others have a price, but generally speaking, they are not too expensive. When logging into the Microsoft Apps, please use your firstname.lastname@example.org email address as this gives you a free Office 365 licence while you are studying at MCC.
To purchase iPad apps, you must set up an account in iTunes. We recommend setting up Apple Family Sharing to control what apps the child buys and how much they can spend.
An alternate way to control the expense is crediting the iTunes account using an iTunes gift card which allows you to keep track of how much your child is spending easily.
You can also use a Credit Card in iTunes and manage ongoing costs with Parental Controls in the iPad settings. For a full list of Essential Apps for Everyone and Extra Year Level Specific Essential Apps that your child will need to install before starting the school year, please visit the Apps section at the bottom of this page.
Do I need to purchase an extended warranty?
We strongly recommend purchasing an extended warranty of an additional year with accidental damage cover (claim excess currently less than $100) from Apple called AppleCare+ for your child’s iPad. The AppleCare+ Protection Plan includes two years of telephone support.
Setting up your iPad
Before getting to school, if you have an internet connection, you can setup the iPad with the apps needed as set out below. If you open this webpage on the iPad, you can click on the Apps' icons, and it will take you straight to them for download. The child's email account and the College Wireless will be setup once at school.
Essential Apps for Everyone
Our College uses Office 365 (Microsoft). When you log into Microsoft Apps, including OneDrive, use your email@example.com email address.
The MCC student email gives you access to a free Office 365 licence while you are studying at MCC.
Students will be responsible for ensuring that:
- They use the e-device in accordance with College policies & procedures, including the Standards of Conduct and our CLEAR Technology expectations – see our Network User Agreement.
- They have their e-device with them in class.
- There is always space on the e-device for the storage of school-related files.
- The e-device is charged.
- The e-device has the required Apps installed and texts available.
- Damage is promptly reported to parents or carers for remedy.
Students are permitted to place music, videos, Apps etc. on their e-device with the expectation that:
- Content inappropriate for College use is not accessed or shown to others while at the College.
- Sufficient storage space is left on the e-device for school work files.
Students who fail to meet their responsibilities in regard to their e-device will be dealt with via the College’s Behaviour Education Process.